Sunday 31 July 2016 is National Tree Day!
National Tree Day is held every year in July. It is a great opportunity to do something good for the environment and give back to your local community in a meaningful way. Participants from across Australia unite with thousands of generous, green-minded individuals, to reconnect with nature, enjoy and protect Australia’s unique natural environment, and just have fun.
Schools Tree Day will be held on Friday 29th July, 2016, and is an excellent opportunity for your school to have a positive green impact on your local environment.
You can find out more about National Tree Day from the official Planet Ark National Tree Day website.
Communities across the Riverina region are hosting Tree Day events, so keep an eye on the list below as we add events to it.
- Humula Public School and local volunteers will be planting 180 trees on Friday 29 July at 11:30am. A BBQ will be provided for volunteers and there will be a viewing of MLi’s new Paddock Trees video. Contact Local Landcare Coordinator Maddy Gorham for more details: firstname.lastname@example.org 0429 458 717
- Temora Shire Council and Local Landcare Coordinator Megan Harris will have free trees, and kids’ activities sheets available from a stall in Hoskins Street Temora on Friday 29 July 9:30am – 4:30pm. Find out more.
- Hay Shire Council in conjunction with Riverina Local Land Sevices will have trees available for urban and rural residences, from a pop-up shop out the front of the Hay Shire Council building (134 Lachlan Street), Friday 29 July, from 11am to 3pm. Find out more.
- Riverina Highlands Landcare Network, in conjunction with Snowy Valleys Council, Riverina Local Land Services, and Mountain Landcare: From July 25th to 30th local residents can visit the Landcare Nursery in Tumut (located on Gocup Rd) and collect a free native tree, shrub or understorey plant. For residents in the Tumbarumba area, Mountain Landcare will be providing free native trees, shrubs and understorey plants at a street stall in the main street of Tumbarumba on Friday the 29th of July. Find out more.
- Wagga Wagga Urban Landcare Group will be holding a tree-planting event at 211 East Bomen Road on Sunday 31 July, 10am – 12pm ; Free sausage sizzle and seedling for each participant. Find out more.
- The Irrigation Area Landcare Collective and NSW National Parks and Wildlife Service will be hosting a National Tree Day/World Ranger Day combined event, with an activity called ‘Hollows as Homes’ at Cocoparra National Park on Sunday 11 September, 11am-2pm. Find out more. Directions to Woolshed Flat. About Hollows as Homes.
You can also search the official National Tree Day website to find an event near you.
If you’d like to organise or join a local Tree Day event in your area, or add your event to the above list, please contact your Local Landcare Coordinator.
After the event we’d love to see your photos! Tag us on Facebook or Twitter, or email your photos to Kimberley at email@example.com so we can share them on our social media. Be sure to include information about who was involved in the planting and where it took place, so we can let everyone know about the great work you’ve done.